Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Alpha and The Omega

A beginning and an end ... not only is this the beginning of my blog, Lent has also just begun. And as I remind myself everyday at work, I must begin with the end in mind. Where do I want to be in 40 days? And in asking that question, I can now appropriately and successfully move onward.

Who is it that I want to be in merely a month from now? A loving son, a caring brother, a better uncle, a compassionate friend? Simply a better person? I suppose I could sit and write a list that feels as though it has no end or better yet, I can be a man of action. I could get off my lazy bum and seek out all those friendships that I let suffer. I could actually go visit my family! Maybe I'll just take 20 minutes out of the 40,320 minutes I have every month to write to my eldest sister. The possibilities are almost endless in this limited amount of time we have here in this world. So how are we going to spend our lives?

Are we going to live life fully. And yet not so full we forget the most important things to us? Have we forgotten or ever experienced the beauty of simplicity? Or have we just let some of the not-so-important things take priority? Most importantly, are we ready for the end? When our earthly journey comes to an end, will we be content with how we have lived? Or as Thoreau says, are we living a life of quiet desperation?

No comments: