Saturday, December 26, 2009

Solitude

Oh what an unexpected blessing this Christmas has been! I have found myself in Kansas City by myself for two days. I had invitations to spend time with friends and their families but God was really placing it on my heart to be alone. Why alone I wondered? I am currently residing in Manhattan and feel like I am TOO alone. Nevertheless, I trusted the movements of the Spirit and found myself looking for things to do. I enjoyed Avatar, some sushi and then drove back to my buddies house where I was crashing. I shoveled the driveway and then readied myself for Midnight Mass. I arrived early to get a place in case it packed in like some Midnight Masses in the area and found myself time to journal, pray evening prayer and even partake in the sacrament of confession. And then after mass, I experienced quite the adventure trying to drive home in a blizzard. I had to stop and get gas ... which is a story in itself. But did make it home safely that night.

My Christmas morn was very un-traditional. I awoke late and shoveled the driveway again and then walked down to QuikTrip for a Christmas Lunch of taquitos, Hostess donettes and cappuccino. Weird enough I enjoyed it. Then after an afternoon of holiday movies and working on some personal projects, my solitude turned into an evening of Chinese food with a ol' buddy whom I hadn't seen in 5 years who was also alone but truly stranded at his house. Thank God for a car that can handle snow and ice!

What joys solitude can bring. A peacefulness that can exist within silence and presence of the Lord. I have to include another surprising revelation ... I have only received one present this Christmas and that was from my boss the Wednesday before Christmas. So I spend Christmas without opening a single present. And yet I experienced more joy than any material item could ever bring me. Reflection of how much I am blessed in my life pours life and love into my heart ... an amazing loving family, a wonderful girlfriend for whom I tenderly care and enjoy sharing my life with, the ability to worship freely, sacramental grace which truly affects my corporeal existence, the joy of friends and just life itself, truly blessed am I! Thank you dear Jesus, my Savior and Redeemer.

No comments: